dHL has partnered with 4Canoes and the International Indigenous Speakers Bureau to bring Indigenous Knowledge Keepers sharing their stories into K-12 classrooms and homes. Browse the ongoing 28 edition series and children’s books available on the 4Canoes Digital Shelf or experience Indigenous teaching with the IISB Knowledge Nuggets.
4Canoes Digital Shelf
4Canoes is a Canadian based content creator and publisher formed in response to the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls To Action. 4Canoes content is evolving as a unique, ongoing, 28-edition series created to bring Indigenous Peoples telling their stories into our classrooms and homes. Each issue highlights a different Indigenous Peoples, and is produced with integrity and respect. The 4Canoes team embeds and works with the featured People for months, providing a forum for them to tell their stories.
- New editions and children’s books released every year
- Each edition and children’s book builds awareness about Indigenous culture by sharing the stories as told by the People about the land, water, and culture
- Audio included in many editions and children’s books (stories read in English and the Indigenous language; nature sounds, etc.)
- Teacher Guides with STEM-based lesson plans and additional resources connected to the Canadian curriculum
- OWL Special Editions released annually following the release of the 4Canoes editions
- OWL Special Edition Teacher Guides released annually
- District portal includes titles purchased for the year (accessible to all staff, students, and community)
- Access the editions and books on any device in any browser (no downloads required)
The 4Canoes Digital Shelf is a subscription-based service that can be renewed on an annual basis. Districts choose the titles as they want for their Digital Shelf, which can then be made accessible to staff, students, and the larger community. The price is $15 per title per school per year. Print editions may be purchased individually or in bulk at a discount within your District’s Digital Shelf.
International Indigenous Speakers Bureau (IISB) Knowledge Nuggets
Knowledge Nuggets are short guided educational video resources intended to assist the K-12 educational system with understanding Indigenous knowledge, perspectives, and history. These Indigenous teachings follow a more Indigenous way of teaching and learning. Knowledge Nuggets allow teachers to share Indigenous knowledge confidently by providing students with a rich Indigenous perspective by Indigenous experts. The teacher resources offer classes multiple opportunities for learning.
Contact us to preview and subscribe to the 4Canoes Digital Shelf.
Be sure to check out our other dHL Services:
This post is also available in: Français (French)